Sunday, September 14, 2008

In Honour of Diane Milliken





Hello Everyone,

It is with profound sadness that I write this very delayed blog (6 months actually) on such a somber and serious note. Our family matriarch, Diane Milliken (previously Diane Swan) passed away suddenly this week. It has caught us all off guard, and I am in a state of shock, almost numbness, to what has happened. So, I wanted to write about Auntie Diane, as I always so affectionately referred to her as -- to honour a great woman who has shown countless numbers of people the true value of family, friendship, loyalty and service. Please feel free to post a comment and share your thoughts about Auntie Diane, or something about her life that will bring a smile to our faces.

When I was young, ADiane would spoil Alexis and I rotten. She'd let me have extra sugar in my cereal (when my Mom & Dad weren't looking), she'd send us special Valentine's packages, she'd bring us out to the Calgary zoo a thousand times, and every time she would act like it was her first. Sort of like seeing life through the eyes of a child. We'd also beg and beg to go to the "Pool with the Waterslides" (I actually don't know the real name) and ADiane would organize it and off we'd go. She'd pack a lunch and give my Mom a break from all those things a young mother deals with, whining children and sibling rivalry. These every day little things defined ADiane, because she did these things not only for me and for my family, but for family of friends and friends of family. Stewardship of life, I suppose, was her calling, and she doled it out to anyone she came into contact with. This wasn't without the reminders to e-mail, call and be in touch. She loved hearing from her family and, she expected us to! If we'd been wayward in communication, she would let us know... "Oh, haven't heard from you in a while! I'd love to hear your news." And now, I understand, it's because she loved us within every inch of her soul, she loved us with true compassion and dedication to keeping a family connected and in touch. As Janice Gibbs said the other day, "She was our Pipeline [of information]." Even if I hadn't talked to my family in the East or West, to Marilyn or Rudy, to Alice and Dwayne, to the Crazy Ladies (I never got to meet everyone, just a couple, but I feel like I knew them, somehow) to.... the list is endless. All of these people are going to miss her calls, e-mails (yes at 74 she was more computer literate than me!!!) and her Cards.

Everyone keeps saying they can't imagine a world without ADiane. She shepherded us through childhood and adulthood, and encouraged us even when she knew we were being crazy and out of control (ahhhhm I have quite the little temper and have been known to be rather opinionated). In particular, she took great pride in her home and her husband, Uncle Jim. And of this were her two daughters Julie and Janice. Her grandchildren, consequently, were a source of joy for both she and Jim, and those kids could have burped the wrong way when they were babies and laughter, smiles of amusement and pampering would have ensued. ADiane is almost a piece of olden days values, when time was slower and a woman's castle was her home. She worked tirelessly her whole life for others, and now, she is in a better place with her mother and father, Nanna and Gramps, and she is free to smile upon all of us and see EVERYTHING that we are doing without those e-mails and phone calls. But for us, we are weary from our loss and barely coping with not having her around to love us, pester us, encourage us and laugh with us. We can't see her, but she has built for us a beautiful thing, a family quilt of love and honour. In turn, we will honour her gifts to us by taking care of each other, and passing down her generosity of spirit and love for life to future generations. And not one family dinner will go by, I'm certain, without some mention of Auntie Diane.

May your soul rest in peace Auntie Diane, and until I see you again, all my love.

Love Amanda
xoxoxoxox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I'm a friend and colleague of Amanda's. I am so inspired by hearing about Aunty Diane's life. I think the greatest tribute I can give to this wonderful woman who I see through the eyes of my dear friend, is this, 'I want to be like you, Aunty Diane.' God's deepest blessings on all.
Tannis