Wednesday, June 13, 2007

First Year Almost Done & Off to Europe We Go!




Well, I am officially almost finished my first year of teaching! It is very exciting to consider these options -- but I can definitely see why people who've been teaching for 30 years say it "flies by"!! I have loved what I've been doing -- I have a great class & a great parent group. Stewart has been most wonderful in helping out around the house when I've been too tired to do it myself -- and of course I hear the jokes and the commentaries about the latest jazz album along the way.

Some changes for next year -- it looks like I'll be teaching a Grade 4 Montessori class! That Montessori training has paid off -- literally and figuratively. This means I'll have my own classroom, and I already know most of the children and their parents. It's going to be a great way to try out intermediate and see if I enjoy it as much as I enjoy primary. I've also had retired teachers give me boxes upon boxes of supplies -- you need all the help you can get as a new teacher!

Our trip to Europe is just around the corner -- we are starting out in London, then going to Edinburgh & Inverness (Scotland). From there we fly to Turin Italy and onto Cinque Terre, the five cities on the Mediterranean!! Our next stop is Nice (France) and onto Munich to visit Erin Drew in Munich for two weeks! We then fly back to London and will start a three week tour of some of the major cities in Western Europe -- it's a TopDeck camping tour, and you should see our sleeping bags! They are amazing. They compress into a tiny packet that fits nicely in the bottom of our backpacks.

Decisions decisions decisions -- Stewart & I have been talking about kids (not the ones in our classrooms) and you never know what could happen in the next two years. I'll keep you posted. We've also talked about going to the Cook Islands but that might not happen either?

Hope everyone is well -- Amanda & Stewart

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Amanda,
Great blog! It's great to see you and Stewart looking forward to your big trip and I am happy you're all lined up for next year. That will make it all the easier for you to relax and enjoy your adventure!

Take Care,
:) Rachelle

formerbrandon said...

Hey Amanda.....I have a blogsite on this thing too. You may have just enspired me to keep it up to date now. No one was reading it so I just stopped. Jen and Glenns is just great!!!! Happy you are going on a Top Deck. We sold it at travel cuts and they are a really great company to go with. I'm so excited for the two of you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

Love the blog idea. Alexis, Kate and I will enjoy seeing and hearing about your travels across Europe. Very jealous...but very happy for you both! Kids hugh! Very cool.

Talk to you soon.

Brother Ian

Anonymous said...

You got it buddy! Kudos on the whole scene you 2 have a going! Jolly good show...even Capt. Morgan and his mates can't a slow you two rascals down. All hands on deck. U & Stu gather no moss! All da best with your trip this summer Amanda!!

Fritz 457 from Surrey over and outta here...have Mercy!

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.